Powder coating is a dry coating process used as a metal finish mostly used on industrial equipment and is a multi-step finishing process. The powder covers the main part surface area and is then moved to a curing oven. Powder coating can be used on many different surfaces including metal, concrete, steel, and plastic.
Powder coating is applied by a process called electrostatic spray deposition (ESD) a powder feeder and spray gun are used to spray fire the powder onto the object using compressed air.
Advantages of Powder Coating
- Cost-effective: As the powder coating is durable, long-lasting and weather resistant the costs are heavily reduced.
- Eco–Friendly: Powder coating is very environmentally friendly with coloring metal. The powder doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals so there are no solvents used. Powder coating doesn’t require disposal and produces less waste due to the nature of the coating and curing process.
- Longevity: Powder coating is easy to maintain over a period of time and the bonding process means that the coat will be resistant to weather and environmental factors.
- Durability: Powder coating is resistant to chipping, fading, and scratching. Powder coating has UV-resistant particles which protect over time, even lasting up to 20 years.
Powder coating also protects metal parts in high-risk areas such as underneath car bonnets.
How does our powder coating process work?
- The first step of the process is cleaning. The part chosen must be cleaned of dirt; usually, this item is sandblasted or acid bath to clear debris.
- Our second stage is powder coating works by applying the dry color to a metal surface. Colour powder is applied to the electrostatic spray deposition using a powder gun.
- After the application of the coating, the next step of the process is curing. This involves baking the metal piece in an oven. Curing results in the formation of protective skin and promotes adhesion. Curing takes approx 30 minutes.
- Thermostat treating occurs when the powder carbonizes from the heat, this leaves behind a rock-hard shell that is resistant to scratches. After the rock cools then the piece is complete.
If you wish to contact our sales team call us on 061 – 369169 or email [email protected]